Friday, November 30, 2012

31 Day Challenge, Day 14: Water Lilies - Inspired By Monet

When I was thinking of what to do for today's challenge theme I went through all the typical floral things that you see on nails and decided I didn't want to do any of that.  I wanted to do something different that would challenge me.  Problem is  my artistic skills on paper really lie in drawing comic book characters and caricatures, not in still life or landscapes and definitely not in anything leaning toward realism (find me on Facebook if you're interested in seeing any of my tonal pencil drawings).  Another problem is that on paper I never work in color, just graphite and charcoal.  Then while I was watching a documentary on origami (Between the Folds - check it out, mind blowing stuff) I was struck by how similar in theory some of that work is to Impressionism in that it is really just a suggestion of the subject matter.  I have always loved the Impressionist School, especially Monet and Degas, and the Water Lilies series is, at times, abstract enough that maybe I could do something reminiscent of the feeling of those works.

I'm actually kind of happy with the way this turned out.  Is it Monet?  No, of course not.  But, I think it captures the spirit of his work well enough.  What do you think?



For this I used, um, 14 polishes.  Ready for the list?  Ok...

OPI - Sparrow Me the Drama
Zoya - Reagan
Zoya - Shawn
Zoya - Frida
Essie - Lapiz of Luxury
Nina - Cobalt
NYC - Water Street Blue
NYC - Taxi Yellow
NYC - High Line Green
NYC - Skin Tight Denim
Sinful Colors - San Fransisco
China Glaze - White on White
Sally Hansen - Mint Sorbet
Orly - Shining Star

As for technique it's just a whole lot of tiny brush work while staring at pictures.  Nothing special, nothing complicated.  I really think if you can do galaxy nails you can do this since this is more about color blending and placement than being technically accurate in representation.






The 31DC is on hold for me tomorrow as I am embarking on a 12 Days of Christmas Challenge from Iced Lacquer.  Check it out and participate - it looks like a lot of fun and since it's not an every day type of challenge should be doable. :)  I'll continue the 31DC on the off days from the 12 Days of Christmas challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment