Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 2: Orange

Ugh, Orange.  Not one of my favorite colors, at least on me.  I don't even have much in the way or orange polish - maybe 5 or 6 shades.  So, this one was hard for me.  What to do?  I was totally stumped especially since I had told myself I was going to do something new and different (new to me) each day of this challenge.



What I ultimately came up with is a version of Ombre dots.  I started with a base of 2 coats of China Glaze Roguish Red.  On some people this is definitely a red but on me it is way more orange.  Then on my palette, in this case a ziploc baggie, I put 10-12 drops of the Roguish Red and mixed in a few drops of Sinful Colors Snow Me White to lighten it up.  Then I did a row of dots, went back to my palette and added more white, more dots, and so on until I had covered my nails.  I smoothed it all out with some Seche Vite then applied 2 coats of Essie Matte About You.

You can see as the rows go down toward my cuticles that there is some icky strings of polish.  My polish was starting to dry and was getting tacky.  If I ever do this again I would start a fresh mixing area about halfway through to avoid this.  For now just pretend it doesn't exist.  In all honesty from a normal viewing distance you can't even tell unless you're looking for it.  My photos are super close-up though so you can see every little imperfection clearly.

So, here's the final result.  It counts as orange, right?




4 comments:

  1. So freakin cool, I wish I had the patience to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It didn't take all that long, really. Give it a try, I bet you'd be surprised. :)

      Delete